Wednesday, May 21, 2008

**INTERVIEW WITH JOANNE OLIVIERI***

AUTHOR/ POET/ Joanne Olivieri 1. When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer? I first realized it after reading some poetry books my Mother had given me. I loved the musicality of poetry, especially within the traditional styles, and knew poetry was something I wanted to pursue. 2. What type of books do you enjoy writing? I enjoy writing poetry, and reviews. I can also get lost in writing fiction, though I haven't written much in that genre. 3. Did a special person in your life inspire you to become a writer? Yes! my Mother did. She always encouraged my writing. She would always buy my poetry books. I remember during summer vacations, she would have class for me, and my brothers once or twice a week where we'd all sit and write. While my brothers weren't fond of having a class during summer vacation, I very much enjoyed it. It helped spark my creativity. My Mom paved the way to my success as a writer. 4. Have you written any books based on a true life story? No! I haven't, though I have written a few true stories. I am however, seriously thinking about it. 5. Who is your favorite author? I have so many, it's difficult to list all of them. I mainly read poetry, and non-fiction, so many of my favorites are poets such as Longfellow, Poe, Byron, Keats, Marlowe, Plath, Angelou, and ellery Akers, etc. I enjoy any works by Wayne, Dyer, Deepak Chopra, and Joseph Farley. I'd have to say I can really get into Stephen King novels. 6. Are your characters created from people you've known in real life, or are they from the imagination? I've really not written many stories. Most of my poetry, and stories are created by my own experiences. Fiction would be a challenge, and something I may consider. I always like a good challenge. 7. How many books have you written? I have written two books. "Red Lanterns" which won poetry chapbook of the year 2005 by a local magazine, and "Serenity" which was published last year in 2007. "Red Lanterns" contains many poems written after my first trip to Hong Kong. "Serenity" deals mainly with life, love, passion, and a "coming into your own" journey." 8. Where can your books be purchased? They can be purchased directly from me, or from my publisher, Shadow Poetry. You can visit my website at: http://joanneolivieri.tripod.com for more detailed information, and ordering instructions. 9. Describe how you felt the first time you were published. I was ecstatic to say the least, and felt such a sense of pride, and accomplishment. 10. Do you have any current work in progress for a new release? I am considering a poetic/guidebook of my journeys to Hong Kong which will include poetry, reviews, guides, tips, and photos. I am planning another trip next year, so the book is pending, until I've completed my visit. 11. What are some links to your websites? http://joanneolivieri.tripod.com http://www.myspace.com/jodapoet http://joshongkong.tripod.com 12. Do you have goals set for your future in your journey of writing? I want to publish my Hong Kong journey travel book, then hopefully find a steady position as a travel writer. I love to write, and travel, so why not combine both of my passions, and make some money at the same time. 13. At this point and time in your life, are you exactly where you want to be in your writing endeavors? I'm actually amazed that I am where I am. I never thought that I would have published two books, and be working on a third at this point in my life, so I am ahead of the game. 14. In your opinion, what are some factors that can help authors reach their dream of accomplishment? First, and foremost, listen to your heart. Do not let anyone tell you that you can't do it, or don't waste your time. Follow your heart, and your dreams will come true. Face rejections as challenges. You will grow, and become more confident. 15. As an author, have you ever experienced writer's block? All the time. 16. What advice can you give to authors to prevent writer's block? One needs to become inspired when experiencing writer's block. Immerse yourself in what-ever it is that inspires you. Whether it's music, nature,reading, etc. Bathe yourself in inspiration. Always carry around a notepad, and pen to jot down ideas you may have. 17. As a child, did you have any books that you enjoyed reading? I loved all the Dr. Seuss books. I also had a collection of The Little Golden Books. I wish I still had them. 18. As a child, did you enjoy reading alot? I always loved reading. For me it was a way to travel, and experience something new. 19. If you had the opportunity to one day live the life of a famous author, who would it be? I think it would be Maya Angelou as I truly admire her sense of self, and "live in the moment" lifestyle. 20. Many authors feel a sense of self-satisfaction after publishing a book, some feel a sense of achoevement, can you relate to such feelings? I feel an extreme sense of achievement, after publishing a book. I love the sense of creating, and completing a project. 21. How do you balance your current occupation with your goals for writing? I have an occupation which is very flexible as far as time is concerned. I write, and work on my projects around my work schedule. My schedule varies from week to week, though I have advanced notice. I am able to secure free time each month. 22. How did you feel at your first book-signing? I felt honored, and wonderful. I sign them all the time now, without even thinking about it. 23. If you won the lottery tomorrow, would that change your plans in your writing career? No! It wouldn't change my plans. It would only change uncertainty in finances. It would also allow me to travel more. 24. As writer's we begin with a manuscript, then we learn the meaning of promotions, what was the most difficult task? Promotions. For me, writing is easy. Promoting and marketing is difficult, because it can take away that creative flow. It's difficult to find a balance between the two. 25. Some writer's need to listen to soft music to help write those chapters, some need to look at the ocean, or flowers, do you have any particular scenery or object you focus on when writing? One is nature, either the beach, or park. the second is listening to music, traditional Asian music, and three, traveling somewhere. It varies depending on my mood. 26. If you became daring to write a novel for a different genre, other than what you have already written in one genre, what would it be? I think horror, I find it challenging, so I may explore it in the future.

No comments: