Tuesday, November 11, 2008

INTERVIEW With ALYSIA LYONS

It is with Great Pleasure, and an Honor to present Author Alysia Lyons to Today's Interview! Geri: When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer? Alysia: I started writing little stories at a young age, but I think the first time I realized that I wanted to be published was after I wrote "How The Hart Breaks." I had several friends read it, and each of them encouraged me to try. Geri: What type of books do you enjoy writing? Alysia: Mostly, I write contemporary romance. You might say, "I'm a hopeless romantic." Geri: Did a special person in your life inspire you to write? Alysia: My grandpa used to read to me when he would come to visit, and then later on, I would read to him. I think that has alot to do with my love for writing. Geri: Have you written any books based on a true life story? Alysia: I don't really write about true life, my stories are primarily fiction. However, I am inspired by things that happen in real life. Often, I will take an event that happened to me, or a friend, and imagine a different outcome. Geri: Who is your favorite author? Alysia: Nora Roberts, Anne Rice, JK Rowling. Geri: Are your characters created from people you've known in real life? Alysia: My characters are usually inspired by a scene, and how they would react in a certain situation. I build upon the characters personality from the way the character reacts to a certain scene. Geri: How many books have you written? Alysia: Roughly, around six books. Three of them are part of the Isabel Hart Series. This is my first published, but I'm planning to submit another one shortly. Geri: Where can your book be purchased? Alysia: Barnesandnoble, Borders, Target. Geri: Describe how you felt the first time you were published. Alysia: After I got published, and held my book in my hands, I remember watching Anne of Avonla. Towards the end, she gets her book published, and gets it in the mail. She was so excited, and felt accomplished. I turned to my mom, and said "I know how that feels!" Geri: Do you have any current work in progress? Alysia: I am currently finalizing the sequels to "How The Hart Breaks" for publication. Geri: What are some links to your websites? Alysia: http://www.alysialyons.com/ Geri: Do you have goals set for the future? Alysia: I have many goals pushing me forward. My next goal to reach is publishing the second novel in the Isabel Hart Series. Geri: Are you exactly where you want to be in your writing? Alysia: I'm farther along than I thought I'd ever be. I know that it takes some writers fifteen, or more years to get published, and some writers never do. So, I just feel blessed to be as far as I am. Geri: What can help authors reach their dream? Alysia: My only advice to aspiring authors is to not give up. You need thick skin in this business. Don't get discouraged by the word, "No!" Geri: Have you ever experienced writer's block? Alysia: I think every writer has experienced it at one time, or another. Geri: What can prevent writer's block? Alysia: I'm not sure that it's preventable. However, once you hit a rut, it's important to not stay there. Go back to whatever it is that inspires you, and try to be inspired again. Find a support group, a group of reader's who want to see what's coming next. Those are some of the ways I overcome it. Geri: As a child, did you have favorite books? Alysia: I loved reading the Nancy Drew books, and for the longest time, I thought Carolyn Keene was a real person, and I was in awe of how many books she's written. Geri: As a child, did you enjoy reading alot? Alysia: When I would get into a book, I would do very little else. Something happens when I read now. A lot of times, I just can't put the book down. Geri: If you had the opportunity to one day live the life of a famous author, who would it be? Alysia: J.K.Rowling. I'm very impressed with her mind, and her attention to detail in books. It's a trait that I admire, and aspire to. Geri: Many authors feel a sense of self-satisfaction, self-achievement after publishing a book, can you relate? Alysia: Absolutely, I don't think there's any feelings quite like being a published author. Geri: How do you balance occupation with writing? Alysia: It's difficult to balance my day job with writing, but writing is my passion, and people always make time to do their passion. Geri: How did you feel at your first book-signing? Alysia: It feels alot like being published for the first time, surreal. I have to remind myself that I didn't dream it, it really is my book that I'm signing. Geri: If you won the lottery tomorrow, would that change anything? Alysia: I would continue writing. It would give me more time. Geri: As writers, we begin with a manuscript, and end with promotions. What was your most difficult task? Alysia: Promotions, it was unfamiliar territory. I read books about it to learn some tricks, so that I knew what I was doing. I soon realized that a writer's job was to write, and promote. Geri: Some writer's listen to music, or focus on a particular scenery, can you relate? Alysia: I get into a zone where I don't hear, or see anything, other than what's happening in my story. Geri: If you were to publish a book in a different genre, what would it be? Alysia: I've always wanted to write a murder mystery. I'm also thinking about crossing over to the Christian Romance Genre. Geri: Thank you very much for your time. It's been a pleasure! Alysia: You're welcome!

No comments: