Wednesday, June 24, 2009

**INTERVIEW with author GAYLE NOBEL**

Author of: "IT'S ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE" with Author Kathy Almeida Subtitle: "Loving and Living Well With Autism" Genre: Self-Help/Inspirational/Special Needs http://www.autismwithattitude.com/ www.myspace.com/150577803 http://twitter.com/attitudemama1 paula@marketingexpert.com http://twitter.com/PaulaatAME INTERVIEW Geri: Did a special person in your life inspire you to write? Gayle: My son Kyle, who has autism, is the inspiration behind the entire book. I was also inspired by my co-author Kathy Almeida who encouraged me to put my heart on paper as she was doing the same. In addition, I was inspired by the parents of kids with autism who read some of my initial writing, and told me it had made a tremendous difference for them. Geri: Who is your favorite author? Gayle: For fiction, Jodi Picoult. For non-fiction, it's whoever's inspiration I am hungry for at the moment. Geri: How did you feel at your first book-signing? Gayle: It was a real thrill. Finally, the culmination of a very long dream and process. Little did I know, it was only the beginning. I loved talking to people, and seeing the books stacked up on the table next to me. Then of course, watching people buy them was very exciting too. I really wanted to share my inspiration with as many people as possible, and it was finally happening! Geri: What type of books do you enjoy writing? Gayle: So far, it's just been non-fiction, inspirational, based on my experiences as a mother of a child with autism and a sister to someone with autism and just as a mother in general. Geri: Are your characters created from people you've known in real life? Gayle: Since it's non-fiction, personal experience, the characters are all in my life, and mentioned by name. Geri: Have you written any books based on a true life story? Gayle: My book is based on my own personal experiences with my son who is severely affected by autism, very much true life. Geri: Describe how you felt the first time you were published? Gayle: It was very exciting to hold the first copy of our book in my hand. We had worked for over five years to get to that point. There were so many challenges along the way working together, and being new authors. It was quite a moment and opportunity to make a difference for others, by sharing our story. Loved it, and still do! Geri: Did you have favorite books as a child? Gayle: Dr. Seuss, and Nancy Drew. I read a lot, but can't remember much of what I read. My mom's cousin had illustrated a children's book, which I thought was really cool, and liked to read that one over-and-over, THE ALPHABET TALE, I believe. Geri: As writers, we begin with a manuscript, and end in promotions. What was your most difficult task? Gayle: Carving out the time to write was a big challenge since Kathy and I both have sons with autism who live at home. Our sons can be a bit "high maintenance" in terms of time, energy, demand, and needs. So, there was always a tremendous balancing act going on. Also, there was the challenge of writing with another person. We sometimes saw things differently in what we wanted for the book. Wanting to keep our close friendship in tact, we did a lot of compromising. I think we both grew a lot in the process of writing the book. Geri: Do you have any current work in progress? Gayle: I am currently working on a second inspirational book. This one will just be me as the author. It is also based on personal experiences with my son, but with an added very hands-on-twist. It should be out in about a year. Geri: Thank you very much for your time. It was a pleasure, and I was very interested in your work, and greatly admire your patience and courage as I have helped many children and still do with special needs, including one of my daughters! Gayle: You're welcome!

No comments: