Thursday, June 11, 2009

**INTERVIEW with LEN SCHRITTER**

It is an honor to interview author Len Schritter. author of: "THE SECRET LIFE OF A SNOWBIRD" subtitle: "An Inside Look At Retirement In America's Sunbelt" Genre: non-fiction/humor www.myspace.com/arizonasnowbird www.FiveStarPublications.com www.twitter.com/arizonasnowbird INTERVIEW Geri: When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer? Len: I was always an avid reader as a young student in Junior High School. I loved to read, and thought at the time that it might be fun to write and work for a magazine, or newspaper someday. But, I never followed that career path. Geri: What type of books do you enjoy writing? Len: The only book I've written is a non-fiction book about my life as a snowbird in Arizona. I enjoy writing about personal experiences. I try to allow the reader to feel the same things I did. Geri: Did a special person in your life inspire you to write? Len: Yes, my wife Diana prodded me along to finally pursue a lifelong desire. I was reluctant at first, but with her support I started on my book. Geri: Have you written any books based on a true life story? Len: Yes, my only book, "THE SECRET LIFE OF A SNOWBIRD" is based on a true life story. Geri: Who is your favorite author? Len: My favorite author is, without a doubt, James Herriot who is the author of "All Creatures Great and Small" and other books about his life as a country vet in Yorkshire, England. His work was a great influence on my own writing style. Geri: Are your characters created from people you've known in real life? Len: I write about real people in a non-fiction setting. Sometimes, I don't use their real names however. Geri: How many books have you written? Len: Only one, But I hope to write many more. Geri: Where can your book be purchased? Len: www.amazon.com Or by asking for it at any bookstore Geri: Describe how you felt the first time you were published? Len: It was quite a thrill to finally see my name on the cover of a book. It filled me with a great sense of accomplishment, and gave me a real boost of self-esteem. Geri: Do you have any current work in progress? Len: I am probably a year away from publishing my second book on the same subject, which is tentatively called "HAPPINESS IS BEING A SNOWBIRD." Geri: What are some links to your websites? Len: www.Secretlifeofasnowbird.com www.FiveStarPublications.com Geri: Do you have goals set for the future? Len: My goal is to further exploit this niche regarding retirement, traveling, snowbirding in mybooks, and blogs. I feel that it's an untapped market that will only get bigger in the next few years as the Baby Boom generation ages. Geri: Are you exactly where you want to be with your writing? Len: No, if I had to do it all over again, I would have pursued a career in journalism, and writing. In my late fifties, I'm just getting started in what I really wanted to do with my life. But, it's better late than never. Geri: What can help authors to reach their dream? Len: Never give up, never quit! Realize that you don't know everything there is to know about your craft. Always be willing to learn, and seek out constructive criticism. Geri: Have you ever experienced writer's block? Len: I don't think that there is such a thing as writer's block. You just sit down, and start typing. You might end up working on the same paragraph for hours, but you grind it out, and work your way through your thoughts. Otherwise, you would write nothing. Geri: What advice can you give to prevent it? Len: Stay at the keyboard until you get it right. Geri: As a child, did you have favorite books? Len: I enjoyed reading the Hardy Boys Mystery Series. Geri: As a child, did you read a lot? Len: Yes, it was one of my favorite things to do. Geri: If you had the opportunity to one day live the life of a famous author, who would it be? Len: It would have to be my favorite author, James Herriot. Geri: Many author's feel a sense of self-satisfaction, or achievement after publishing a book. Can you relate? Len: Yes, it was the most satisfying feeling I have ever felt. Geri: How do you balance occupation with writing? Len: My current occupation is very seasonal, allowing me plenty of time to devote to my writing at certain times of the year. At busy times, my writing takes a back seat to my other work, or comes to halt entirely for a few months. Geri: How did you feel at your first book-signing? Len: I was very humbled, and grateful that people were taking an interest in my book. I try to write something personal to each reader who asks for a signed copy. Geri: If you won the lottery tomorrow, what would change? Len: I would quit my job, and devote full-time to my writing career. Geri: As writers, we begin with a manuscript, and end in promotions. What was your most difficult task? Len: Marketing and promotions are far more difficult than actual writing. You have to be somewhat hard-skinned, and sluff off rejection, those who aren't interested in your book. The people who really love your writing and tell you so, keep you going. Geri: Some writer's need to listen to music while writing, or look at the ocean. Do you have a particular scenery? Len: Not any object per se', but when I write, I need complete silence, and oceans of uninterrupted time ahead of me. When it's going well, I don't realize how much time has gone by, four hours could seem like thirty minutes. Geri: If you were to write in a different genre, what would it be? Len: I would like to write a historical novel someday. Geri: Thank you for your time, it's been a pleasure! Len: You're welcome!

No comments: