Sunday, November 9, 2008

**INTERVIEW With Donald James Parker**

It is an honor, and a Great Pleasure to Interview Author Donald James Parker! Geri: When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer? Don: I think I was about ten. Geri: What type of books do you enjoy writing? Don: Funny, Inspirational, and romantic novels which contain much thought-provoking material, and spiritual insight. Geri: Did a special person in your life inspire you to write? Don: Jesus Christ Geri: Have you written any books based on a true life story? Don: Not totally, but I've included the story of two inspirational men who died at any early age in different novels. Geri: Are your characters created from people you've known in real life? Don: For the most part, totally made up, though it's hard to keep part of myself out of the equation. Geri: How many books have you written? Don: Seven Geri: Where can your books be purchased? Don: Amazon, Barnesandnoble online, and donaldjamesparker.com Geri: Describe how you felt the first time you were published? Don: Euphoric. I was at work when I got the email that my book was available on Amazon. I couldn't concentrate on my job to save my life that morning! Geri: Do you have any current work in progress? Don: I have three Geri: What are some links to your websites? Don: donaldjamesparker.com Geri: Do you have goals set for the future? Don: To address every issue of planet earth in one of my novels Geri: Are you exactly where you want to be with your writing? Don: Not really, I regret that I threw in the towel so early in life. I'm just breaking into the business at the age when most writer's are established. Geri: What can help authors reach their dream? Don: Persistence, luck, self-discipline, a mentor...and did I mention luck? Geri: Have you ever experienced writer's block? Don: Not with any of my books yet! Geri: What can prevent it? Don: Go for a jog, walk, bike ride, and stimulate your body and mind! Geri: As a child, did you have favorite books? Don: I read everything I could get my hands on, but especially loved sports novels, which I included in my seven novels. Geri: As a child, did you enjoy reading? Don: Definetely, four books a day during the summer, that's all my library let me check out. Geri: If you had the opportunity to one day live the life of a famous author, who would it be? Don: C.S. Lewis Geri: Many authors feel a sense of self-satisfaction, self-achievement after publishing a book, can you relate? Don: Yes, but those feelings are incomplete, until readers find it of value. Geri: How do you balance occupation with writing? Don: It's hard right now. Before I published, I found time to write six books in two years. Now, marketing and promoting is taking a lot of writing time away. Geri: How did you feel at your first book-signing? Don: Lonely, I sold two books at each of my first two signings. The next one went much better, and I felt a great joy. Geri: If you won the lottery tomorrow, would anything change? Don: I'd quit my day job, hire a publist, and just write. Geri: As writers, we begin with a manuscript, and end with promotions. What was your most difficult task? Don: Trying to market myself far transcends writing a book in the arena of difficulty. Geri: Some writer's need to listen to music, or focus on the ocean, or flowers. Do you have a particular scenery? Don: My computer screen Geri: If you were to write in a different genre, what would it be? Don: My goal is to inspire people while entertaining them. I can't contemplate writing a genre that was strictly an escape hatch. Geri: Thank you very much for your time! Don: It was a Pleasure!

No comments: