Tuesday, April 14, 2009

**INTERVIEW with Author PAUL A. IBBETSON**

It is an honor, and with great pleasure to Interview Author Paul A. Ibbetson. Paul is a former Chief of Police of Cherryvale, Kansas, and a member of the Montgomery County Drug Task Force. He has received his Bachelor's and Master's degree in Criminal Justice at Witchita State University, and is currently completing his PHD. in sociology at Kansas State University. Paul is the Author of: "Living Under The Patriot Act: Educating A Society" And "Feeding The Lions: Sharing The Conservative Philosophy in a Politically Hostile World." He is also the radio host of the Kansas Broadcasting Association's 2008 Entertainment Program of the year, Conscience of Kansas airing on 91.9 f.m. www.ibbetsonusa.com For interviews or questions, please contact Paul at ibbetson91.9@gmail.com INTERVIEW Geri: When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer? Paul: I found that I really enjoyed writing when I was working on my Master's degree, and doing a lot of heavy research. Geri: What type of books do you enjoy writing? Paul: I enjoy writing non-fiction books that focus on politics. Geri: Did a special person in your life inspire you to become a writer? Paul: I have been inspired by many hard working Americans that have modeled the work ethic that it takes to write a book. Geri: Have you written any books based on a true life story? Paul: My book on the Patriot Act follows the real life events following 9-11. "Feeding Lions" deals with the same kind of real life issues, but then goes into a discussion of the philosophies that our politicians use to deal with these issues that affect our lives. Geri: Who is your favorite author? Paul: I have many authors that I enjoy. I read a lot of Ronald Kessler. Geri: Are your characters created from people you've known in real life? Paul: All the individuals in my book are real people. Geri: How many books have you written? Paul: "Feeding Lions" is my second book. Geri: Where can your books be purchased? Paul: www.amazon.com www.barnesandnoble.com www.Hastings.com And All Major Book Outlets! Geri: Describe how you felt the first time you were published? Paul: Publishing a book brings about a great sense of accomplishment! Geri: Do you have any current work in progress? Paul: I am currently working on two new projects, one being a collaboration with several well known writers in the political field. Geri: What are some links to your websites? Paul: www.ibbetsonusa.com www.myspace.com/conservativeusa www.patriotactresearch.com www.authorsden.com/visit/author.asp?authorid=101874 Geri: Do you have goals set for the future? Paul: I want to continue to publish in magazines, and journals, but I really want to focus most of my attention on my national column, and writing very thought provoking books on political issues. Geri: At this point and time in your life, are you exactly where you want to be? Paul: I would say that I never seem to be completely satisfied. I am always looking for new ways to improve, and for new ways to reach more personal goals in writing. Geri: What can help authors reach their dream of accomplishment? Paul: As much education on writing in general is helpful. However, I think a person needs to find the message they think is important, and just never stop working toward getting that message out. Geri: Have you ever experienced writer's block? Paul: I don't! That may be because I am on the radio every week talking about the issues that are important to me. I think it is important to have a dialogue on the issues you write about as it keeps the brain active, and I think it sparks new things to write about. Geri: What advice can you give to prevent writer's block? Paul: Never be the only voice you are hearing. Research constantly in the forums that are best for you, because it is the greatest way to get new ideas, and that will keep you writing. Geri: As a child, did you have favorite books? Paul: I have always enjoyed science fiction, and horror books. S. King is one of my favorites. Geri: As a child, did you enjoy reading? Paul: Not really! Most of my reading started after High School! Geri: If you had the opportunity for one day to live the life of a famous author, who would it be? Paul: Michael Savage. Geri: Many authors feel a sense of self-satisfaction after publishing a book, can you relate to such feelings? Paul: I feel a sense of achievement for sure, but it is short lived as there is always another project to do. Writing is a wondrous never ending journey, so I am always looking down the road. Geri: How do you balance occupation with writing? Paul: Time management is the key. I try to write everyday. Personal and employer imposed deadlines help to keep a person on track. Geri: How did you feel at your first book-signing? Paul: It's a sense of accomplishment. The idea that someone would be interested in what you write is a powerful thing. I remember when President Bush sent me a letter from the White House on my first book. I was very honored. Those are golden mements that keep you working when your motivation might be low. Geri: If you won the lottery tomorrow, what would change? Paul: I hope it would not change a thing. Maybe a larger study, and higher priced coffee for those long nights of writing! Geri: As writers, we begin with a manuscript, and end with promotions. What was your most difficult task? Paul: You have to have a product that people want. But, even with a great product, without a great promotion package, the product gathers dust on the shelf. Writing and promoting are both an art, and neither one can go very far without the other. Geri: Some writer's need to listen to music, or look at flowers, or the ocean while writing. Do you have a particular scenery? Paul: I need a quiet place with no distractions. I take breaks, but only if I'm on a role. I don't stop until my creativity shuts down! Geri: If you were to publish in a different genre, what would it be? Paul: I really think it takes a gift to write fiction, because a person has to research like a non-fiction writer, and then create fictional settings, and characters. I have a lot of respect for fiction writers. If I were ever go and try to write non-fiction, I think action-thrillers would be a great adventure for me! Geri: Thank you very much Paul for your time. Your interview was very enjoyable indeed! Paul: Your welcome!

No comments: