Tuesday, June 9, 2009

**INTERVIEW with CHERIE KIMMONS**

It is an honor to interview author Cherie Kimmons. author of: "POTLUCK SURVIVAL GUIDE" Subtitle: "Care & Feeding of the Athletic Supporter" Genre: Cookbook INTERVIEW Geri: When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer? Cherie: It never was a conscious thought. Writing has always been about communication, connecting with other people. It didn't matter if it was on a stage, with music, as a therapist, writing or just holding a friend's hand when she cried or laughed! It is the connection I've always craved, the medium is secondary. Geri: What type of books do you enjoy writing? Cherie: My only book is a cookbook. I wrote a humor column for fifteen years, and I loved doing that. Also, I was a writer for HGTV, and I loved doing that. Geri: Did a special person inspire you to write? Cherie: No! Geri: Have you written any books based on a true life story? Cherie: No! Geri: Who is your favorite author? Cherie: Only one? I love Diana Gabaldon's historical fiction, and I want to be Dave Barry when I grow up, without the boogers! Geri: Are your characters created from people you've known in real life? Cherie: No! Geri: How many books have you written? Cherie: One! Geri: Where can your book be purchased? Cherie: www.potluckqueen.com www.fivestarpublications.com www.amazon.com www.barnesandnoble.com www.target.com www.borders.com Geri: Describe how you felt the first time you were published? Cherie: Overwhelmed, relieved, proud, and exhausted! Geri: Do you have any current work in progress? Cherie: No! Geri: What are some links to your websites? Cherie: www.potluckqueen.com Geri: Do you have goals set for the future? Cherie: Now that you ask, I feel as if I should, but right now I don't. We are getting ready to build a house, and I am overwhelmed with decision making. My mother-in-law died a few months ago, and I was a primary care-taker, so I am adjusting to that as well. However, I would like to get my column going again for a long mailing list of readers who are waiting for my next one. Geri: Are you exactly where you want to be with your writing? Cherie: Heck no! I'd love to be famous, churning out the books with ease, and attending huge launch parties. However, I do feel that everyday I am alive, my writing improves because it is informed by new experiences, and insights. So I am content with that imperceptible progress right now. Geri: What can help authors to reach their dream? Cherie: Networking to find the right fit with a publisher, persistence to get the darn stuff written, and reading skilled writers who make you think, it might rub off. Geri: Have you ever experienced writer's block? Cherie: Oh my Lord, yes! Every time I sit at the computer! Geri: What advice can you give to prevent it? Cherie: Write something, anything, each writing session, even if it's awful. Don't expect perfection each time you touch the keys. Forgive yourself for not being brilliant every time you write. Get something on paper, it's a starting point. Enjoy the ride! Geri: As a child, did you have favorite books? Cherie: I was addicted to fairy tales until I was about nine. I think I read every fairy tale book in the library. Geri: As a child, did you enjoy reading a lot? Cherie: I read constantly. I read The Agony and The Ecstasy, a novel about Michelangelo, by Irving Stone in the eighth grade, and I remember consciously thinking that I never wanted to stop reading. Geri: If you had the opportunity to one day live the life of a famous author, who would it be? Cherie: Hmmmmmmmmm! Mary Oliver writes brilliant poetry. I'd love to see the world through her eyes for one day! Geri: Many authors feel a sense of self-satisfaction, a sense of achievement after publshing a book. Can you relate? Cherie: Did you mention relief? Proof reading the copy for a cookbook is a near-overwhelming task. My brain went dark for weeks after we finished. But of course, there is an enormous sense of accomplishment when the whole thing is done. Geri: How do you balance occupation with writing? Cherie: Since my writing is very limited right now, it isn't much of a problem. Geri: How did you feel at your first book-signing? Cherie: Like I was in a dream! It was at BEA, and I had a lot of people in line. I lived off that adrenaline for days! Geri: If you won the lottery tomorrow, would anything change? Cherie: No! Geri: As writers, we begin with a manuscript, and end in promotions. What was your most difficult task? Cherie: Creating a demand for one's book. Marketing can be more arduous than writing the book. Cold book-signings can be agonizing. I always cooked something to give away, so the process was pretty involved. TV appearances are fun, since I am usually demonstrating a recipe, and talking. Did I mention I love to talk? Geri: Some writer's listen to music, or look at the ocean, or a particular scenery while writing. Can you relate? Cherie: My older, shedding cat likes to sprawl on my desk while I write. It quiets me to be able to reach out and touch his sweet head. I also like to have music going, but it can be loud rock-and-roll. Sometimes it might be mellow and meditative instrumentals, If I really need to think, I can't have someone else's words swirling in my brain. Geri: If you were to publish in a different genre, what would it be? Cherie: Poetry! Geri: Thank you for your time. this interview was very enjoyable! Cherie: You're welcome!

No comments: