Friday, November 20, 2009

**INTERVIEW #2 with Author STEPHANIE A. DUCKWORTH-ELLIOT**

Welcome back Stephanie!
Author of: "PONEASEQUA: GODDESS OF THE WATERS"
Second Edition
Genre: Young Adult Native American, Multicultural, Geered
toward ages 8-13
~~AUTHOR INTERVIEW #2~~
Geri: What has inspired you the most to write?
Stephanie: I was the little girl who stood out. After my mother and
father were divorced, I grew up with my Wampanoag grandfather
on his farm in Martha's Vineyard. Among the sea of
white children at Edgartown Elementary, I was the
lone Wampanoag with olive skin, russet hair and onyx
eyes, six-foot-one by the time I was twelve. I always
felt different, but I always believed in myself, because
my grandfather did. Because of my struggle, I am
inspired to write and send the message, that it's
okay to be different. You have to love who you are, and be
proud of where you came from. So many children
struggle with identity, and have issues about trying to
fit in.
Geri: How many book-signings have you been to?
Stephanie: Since June sixth, I have been to twenty-two. The largest
one is coming up at the Smithsonian-The Museum of
the American Indian in Washington DC.
Geri: Do you plan on writing a book every year?
Stephanie: Yes, however, not just a young adult book. Next year,
I hope to come out with my adult novel, "THE DREAM
CATCHER'S SECRET."
Geri: How do you promote your book?
Stephanie: I reach out to newspapers. I have several articles
written on me. I have been on twelve different radio
shows. I have been doing all promotions on my own,
besides contracting with you for a review, and online promotions.
Geri: Have you written books in different genres?
Stephanie: Yes, adult fiction.
Geri: Have you written a series, and or a sequel for one title?
Stephanie: No.
Geri: After becoming a published author, do you now find
it easier to write?
Stephanie: No, my time is so limited. I have so many ideas, and
I long for the day when I will have nothing to do,
except to write.
Geri: Do you write everyday?
Stephanie: No.
Geri: Is writing a passion, a stress-reliever, or both?
Stephanie: It is a passion, going to give lectures on my writing
is a stress-reliever, knowing that I have touched
a child's life is the high for me.
Geri: What factors place you in the comfort zone while
writing?
Stephanie: Being quiet, lighting a candle, and having the room
be dark. I love the feeling of being isolated.
Geri: Thank you very much for today's interview. Congrats
on all of your achievements. I wish you much success!
Stephanie: You're welcome.

No comments: