Monday, January 4, 2010

**INTERVIEW with Author JAN BETHANCOURT**

It is an honor, and a great pleasure to interview Author Jan Bethancourt.
Author of: "BE EMPOWERED! EAT CHOCOLATE WITH BREAKFAST"
~~~AUTHOR INTERVIEW~~~
Geri: Who is your favorite author?
Jan: At the risk of being seen as a romantic, I would have to say my favorite
author is Rosamond Pilcher. When my own life has been too crowded
with responsibility, I choose one of her novels that is usually set in
Scotland, Ireland, or England as the perfect escape.
Geri: When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer?
Jan: I never intended to be a writer. While in high school, my daughter
Sarah struggled with fibromyalgia, and degenerative disc disease,
which required two devastating surgeries. Her confidence was a bit
shaken. When she went to college, I felt the need to mother, yet did
not want to smother. I began sending her encouragement, motivation,
and a few laughs by way of short original sayings, 'mom's pearls of
wisdom.'
Geri: Did a special person in your life inspire you to write?
Jan: My daughter, Sarah, was my greatest inspiration. I am a watercolor
artist. I have been making art for over fifty years. It truly came as a
surprise when she said, "Mom, you should write a book, gather your
sayings and use your artwork as illustrations." Since my sayings
were sent by email and saved, the book was written, before she even
suggested it. My life was changed.
Geri: Did you have favorite books as a child?
Jan: Checked out from the school library, THE SECRET GARDEN, by Frances
Hodgson Burnett, was a great escape for me as a young girl. I was one of
seven children, and my parents were divorced. We had very few 'extras.'
But, I had my imagination. I recently shared this memory with my
husband, who rushed out, and purchased a new copy for me.
Geri: Have you ever experienced writer's block?
Jan: The greatest block for me is my age. Memory is a fleeting thing, or
maybe I am just too busy. If I do not write down a saying, or make
notes about something that inspires me at that very moment that
that I'm inspired, it's gone! The inventor of Post-it notes is my hero.
Geri: Do you have any current work in progress?
Jan: I am very excited about my next book. I have decided to create a series
of "CHOCOLATE BOOKS." The theme of chocolate as a metaphor for
confidence, courage, and compassion will continue. The new book
will have an emphasis on ways to incorporate 'chocolate' into your
journey through life.
Geri: How did you feel the first time you were published?
Jan: Relieved! As well as being author and illustrator, I specified many of
the details in the production of a book. Every time a reader holds my
book, I want her to know that I care about her life. All the pressure
was on me to create a beautiful product that conveys that message.
I am pretty happy with the results.
Geri: Thank you kindly for your time. I wish you much success.
Jan: You're welcome.

No comments: