Sunday, August 30, 2009

**INTERVIEW with Author MELISSA M. WILLIAMS**

Author of: "IGGY THE IGUANA"
Genre: Children's Book/Juvenile Fiction/Chapter book/ ages 7-11
INTERVIEW
Geri: Who is your favorite author?
Melissa: I love the way Janet Fitch wrote White Oleander. The voice in that
book made it hard to put down. I will read any book written by the
Christian Author, Margaret Feinberg. I've had the privilege of
listening to her speak twice. I have to admit, it is always hard for me
to answer any question with the word favorite in it. I'm constantly
changing. (Books, Movies and Songs, Colors and Food, Cities.)
Geri: What type of books do you enjoy writing?
Melissa: I enjoy writing the children's chapter books right now, but in the
future, I know I will start writing for adults. My background is in
psychology, and professional counseling. So I want to eventually
write a book about following your dreams, while using spiritual
guidance as true inspiration.
Geri: Did you have favorite books as a child?
Melissa: I loved WHERE THE RED FERN GOES, MR. POPPER'S
PENGUIN'S, CHARLOTTE'S WEB, and THE BERENSTEIN
BEARS.
Geri: Did a special person in your life inspire you to write?
Melissa: I have had many role models, support, and strong people in my
life, who encouraged me to reach for the stars. My parents always
encouraged me to be a writer, since I started writing the IGGY THE
IGUANA story at the age of eight. My whole family has been very
creative. A friend of my family, Elaine Acker, gave me many words
of advice on how to finish a book project. Lastly, I have always loved
watching and listening to public speakers, particularly Christian
writers talk about their books, journey and inspiring others. It's
always a good idea to surround yourself with people who encourage,
and inspire.
Geri: How did you feel the first time you were published?
Melissa: Complete, like I could do anything! I felt like I had completed a
mental marathon.
Geri: Do you have current work in progress?
Melissa: Yes, the third book to the IGGY series, "TURTLE TOWN."
I will also be starting the Molly picture book series, and a
Short Story Anthology of stories written by kids, for kids.
Geri: Have you ever experienced writer's block?
Melissa: Yes, but not for long. In my opinion, writer's block is just an
excuse to procrastinate. If I feel bored, or not inspired, that
means I just need to get out of my familiar surroundings,
live a little and plug back into my creativity. I don't believe in
ruts. We must get out of the box, and move on,
because life is too short for excuses.
Geri: Thank you very much for your time. It has been an honor,
and a pleasure to interview you today.
Melissa: You're welcome!

No comments: