Monday, August 10, 2009

*INTERVIEW with Author Stephanie Duckworth-Elliot*

I am honored today to Interview Author Stephanie Duckworth-Elliot.
Author of: "Poneasequa"
Genre: YA Native American, Multicultural, ages 8-13
INTERVIEW
Geri: What inspires you to write?
Stephanie: Inspiring children to overcome obstacles-like I did. Making a
difference-bringing the truth about my culture-Wampanoag
Culture out to the fore front of literature. I am tired of being
part of the "invisible" community of Native Americans in this
country-we are still here. I am very passionate about women
making their own life-not making excuses, and following your
dream.
Geri: Who is your favorite author?
Stephanie: Myself-but besides that I love Joe Bruchac, Catherine Anderson,
Cynthia Riggs.
Geri: If you were to write in a different genre, what would it be?
Stephanie: I actually write adult novels as well, besides young adult
children's books.
Geri: When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer?
Stephanie: I have been a story teller my whole life. I love to talk. I have
spoken in front of 1,500 before at a conference. When I was
nineteen, when my grandfather died, I promised him I would
write about our relationship, so it has been twenty years since
then and I have been writing.
Geri: Are your characters created from people you've known in
real life?
Stephanie: Yes, my grandfather, mckenzie-myself, my mother and my
brother.
Geri: Is writing a passion, a stress-reliever, or both?
Stephanie: Passion
Geri: Do you have any current work in progress?
Stephanie: Yes, I have started my own publishing company called:
Wampum Books, LLC. I am working on three collaborations
the first one called UPO'S Tale about a REZ dog with the
famous Vincent Black Hawk who directed Ghost Riders,
and my own adult novel: The Dream Catcher's Secret is
expected to come out in the Spring of 2010. It is about three
generations of unforbidden love, race and politics, set on the
Island of Martha's Vineyard and is based on my own life,
mother and grandfather with lots of intrigue and secrets
that are uncovered.
Geri: What factors place you in the comfort zone while writing?
Stephanie: Being quiet, I do most of my writing between 10pm-2am,
when the house is quiet. I have a six year old, and my husband,
so life is crazy during the day.
Geri: Thank you very much for your time. It was a pleasure!
Stephanie: You're welcome!

No comments: